Cooking For Leslie

Welcome. My name is Stu and this is my blog. This blog is my attempt to document my foray into semi-serious cooking, which I dedicate to my lovely wife Leslie (who is a spicy dish all on her own). My hope is that readers who are novices in the kitchen will be encouraged to take risks and to feel braver in their cooking. If you'd like to email me privately (instead of posting to the comments section) my address is stumark@earthlink.net

Name:
Location: Redondo Beach, California, United States

“Every man's memory is his private literature.” -- Aldous Huxley

Friday, February 18, 2005

Sirloin Steak, Hash Browns, and Brussels Sprouts

I’m definitely back on my game tonight. I made steak, hash browns, and Brussels sprouts. Solid home run, and it was relatively easy to prepare.

First I’ll talk about the steak. I got a nice sized, 2 inch thick sirloin steak. Stuck it on a plate and scored the top. Then I coated it with olive oil and garlic and crushed black pepper. Massaged it gently but firmly, to get the spices into the meat. Then I coated it with soy sauce and stuck it in a plastic bag. Kept it in the fridge for about a day.

When I was ready to cook I took out my big-ass sauté pan and heated it up (on high) for about three minutes. Then I placed the steak in the pan, careful not to move it or press on it. I seared it on one side for 2 and a half minutes, then flipped it and seared the other side for 2 and a half minutes, making sure that I didn't move it. Then I pulled the steak from the pan and put it on a foil lined baking pan. Next I heated up the oven to 425 and stuck the steak in, where I set my timer for 12 minutes (longer if you like it less pink on the inside).

While my sauté pan was still hot I added about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and waited for it to get hot. Once the oil was good and hot, I threw in some frozen hash browns that I got at the market. I spread ‘em around the pan so that they got nicely coated with oil. Then I added garlic powder, crushed black pepper, and some salt. Once they were nicely under way I let the potatoes cook and started getting my Brussels sprouts ready.

Brussels sprouts are easy. Get out a steamer or similar microwavable bowl. Pour in 2 tablespoons of water, then add the frozen Brussels sprouts. Seal the bowl, pop it in the microwave, and start cooking on high for about 6 and a half minutes.

I gave the potatoes another turn with a spatula, added a little more pepper (you can’t add too much pepper), then used a spatula and transferred the hash browns to a bowl. Then I got ready to pull the steak from the oven. Leslie likes it pink, so I took the steak out after about 12 minutes. If you like it darker, leave it in for another two to three minutes, but no more. And remember, steak continues to cook after you’ve removed it from the heat. So pulling early is better than pulling late. If you’re not sure, cut off a chunk at the end and taste it. Don’t cut into the center.

Meanwhile, don’t forget the Brussels sprouts. Once the dinger goes off on the microwave, let them sit for another two minutes. Then pull the top off (careful, that’s hot!) and throw in some butter (or if you keep Kosher, throw in some margarine). Take a big spoon and move the sprouts around, getting them good and coated. Then sprinkle on some salt, some dill weed, and some garlic powder. Yum!

That’s it. Any questions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home