Cooking For Leslie

Welcome. My name is Stu and this is my blog. This blog is my attempt to document my foray into semi-serious cooking, which I dedicate to my lovely wife Leslie (who is a spicy dish all on her own). My hope is that readers who are novices in the kitchen will be encouraged to take risks and to feel braver in their cooking. If you'd like to email me privately (instead of posting to the comments section) my address is stumark@earthlink.net

Name:
Location: Redondo Beach, California, United States

“Every man's memory is his private literature.” -- Aldous Huxley

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Vegetable Soup

It was a Sunday night Grammy Award Winning soup night. First time I ever made soup (that didn't come out of a can)... pretty interesting how all the ingredients turn out to be soup in the end. And pretty yummy soup to be sure.

Here's the recipe:

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 yellow onion, diced
½ leek, diced
1 bunch of green onion, sliced into disks
2 carrots, sliced into disks
1 stalk of celery, sliced into semi-circles
1 cup roughly chopped red cabbage
½ cup turnip, diced
8 cups of vegetable broth
1 spice sachet (which I’ll explain in a second)
2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
½ cup Yukon gold potato, diced
1 cup canned corn
¼ cup chopped parsley
Thyme
2 Bay leaves
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

Ok, before we get started, let’s build a spice sachet (it’s easy, so don’t panic). A spice sachet is simply a mesh bag containing spices. I went to the supermarket (Whole Foods) and they sold these little cottony-type bags that were made for adding spices to a soup or sauce. Just open the bag, add some parsley, thyme, roughly milled pepper, and the two bay leaves. Close the bag and put it to the side. If you can’t find a drawstring bag, make a bag out of cheese cloth and string.

Heat the oil in a nice big soup pot. Actually, first heat the pot for a few minutes on medium, then add the oil. (It’s always a good idea to heat your pot or pan before you start any actually cooking). Add the onion, leek, carrots, celery, cabbage, and turnip. Use a spatula to mix it around and get it coated with oil. Stir occasionally, cooking for 15 minutes (or until everything is soft).

Add all the broth. Toss in the spice sachet and make sure it gets good and buried in the broth and vegetables. Bring to a simmer and then let it cook for 10 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, green onion, potato, and corn. Continue to simmer until the potato is tender, about 35 minutes. Once it’s going, add in extra spices, like salt, pepper, garlic powder, or whatever. Make it your own.

Remove the spice sachet. Serve in bowls and top with chopped parsley. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am new to cooking to but what I do is saute the vegetables first with clarified butter/olive oil and spices for a few minutes and then I add them to the stock.
Also I read that stock is preferred over broth the difference being that stock is typically simpler and is salt-free. This allows greater control over your dish and also helps you reduce sodium content as soups tend to be very salty.
Well that's my 2 cents.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home